Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Jonathan Majors begged accuser to avoid hospital, warning of possible ‘investigation,’ messages show -Capitatum
Johnathan Walker:Jonathan Majors begged accuser to avoid hospital, warning of possible ‘investigation,’ messages show
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:53:02
NEW YORK (AP) — The Johnathan Walkeractor Jonathan Majors begged his former girlfriend not to seek medical attention after an incident that left her with a head injury last year, warning she had “no perspective of what could happen” if the truth got out, according to previously undisclosed text messages read at the actor’s criminal trial on Friday.
“They will ask you questions, and as I don’t think you actually protect us, it could lead to an investigation even if you do lie and they suspect something,” Majors wrote to his girlfriend, Grace Jabbari, on Sept. 22, 2022.
Jabbari replied that she would tell doctors she bumped her head, assuring Majors: “Why would I tell them what really happened when it’s clear I want to be with you?”
The messages were read on the fifth day of the Manhattan trial against Jonathan Majors, a rising Hollywood star who is fighting to salvage his reputation after his arrest for allegedly assaulting Jabbari in a separate incident, months later, in New York City.
Additional information about how she sustained the injuries during the September altercation, which took place in London, were not discussed in court. The six-person jury was instructed to consider the messages as “background” as they assessed the assault and harassment charges stemming from Major’s alleged attack on Jabbari in the backseat of a car on March 25th.
Prosecutors have said Majors exhibited a “cruel and manipulative pattern” of abuse, culminating with a backseat confrontation in which he struck her in the side of the head, twisted her arm behind her back, and broke her middle finger.
Majors’ attorneys maintain that Jabbari was the instigator of the struggle. During several days of grueling questioning this week, the defense pressed Jabbari about videos showing her partying in the aftermath of the alleged assault, as well as the vague statements about her injuries that she gave police and medical professionals on the morning after the March confrontation.
That line of questioning may have backfired. In an unexpected decision on Friday, Judge Michael Gaffey said the defense’s “aggressive” attempt to impugn Jabbari’s character had “opened the door” to permitting text messages about the earlier altercation to be read aloud in court.
Those messages – which were previously sealed – showed Jabbari explaining to Majors that the recent head injury had left her unable to sleep and in need of a stronger painkiller. “I would not go to the doctor if you don’t feel safe with me doing so,” she adds.
Later in the conversation, Majors accuses Jabbari of “rejecting” his love, then repeatedly threatens to take his own life. “I’m a monster, a horrible man,” he wrote. “I am killing myself soon. I’ve already put things in motion.”
At the time, Majors and Jabbari were living together in London as the actor filmed the second season of the Disney+ series “Loki.” Prior to his arrest, Majors was set to serve as key supervillain in the Marvel multiverse, reprising his role as “Kang the Conqueror” in two upcoming “Avengers” films.
The fate of those films – along with other projects he was involved in – remains uncertain.
veryGood! (952)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Earthquake centered near New York City rattles much of the Northeast
- Tesla shares down after report on company scrapping plans to build a low-cost EV
- Man shot by police spurs chase through 2 states after stealing cruiser
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- This week on Sunday Morning (April 7)
- USC’s Bronny James declares for NBA draft and enters transfer portal after 1 season
- Judge dismisses lawsuit of injured Dakota Access pipeline protester
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Lawmakers criticize a big pay raise for themselves before passing a big spending bill
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- 'The surgeon sort of froze': Man getting vasectomy during earthquake Friday recounts experience
- 'Game of Thrones' star Joseph Gatt files $40M lawsuit against Los Angeles officials for arrest
- One of the world's oldest books goes up for auction
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- American families of hostages in Gaza say they don’t have time for ‘progress’ in cease-fire talks
- Lawmakers criticize a big pay raise for themselves before passing a big spending bill
- Delilah Belle Hamlin Debuts Dramatic Bleach Blonde Pixie in Must-See Hair Transformation
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
New Mexico electric vehicle mandates to remain in place as auto dealers fight the new rules
Here's What Sisqó Is Up to Now—And It Involves Another R&B Icon
Federal investigation begins of fatal Florida crane collapse; bridge reopens
FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
Emergency operations plan ensures ‘a great day’ for Monday’s eclipse, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says
Small plane clips 2 vehicles as it lands on North Carolina highway, but no injuries are reported
Caitlin Clark got people's attention. There's plenty of talent in the game to make them stay